Back

Funding and Reporting

Your school will get the following funding for each pupil premium-eligible pupil in a:

  • mainstream school - £162
  • non-mainstream school - £423

Funding can be put towards any of the 3 tutoring options. You can mix and match options in any combination. This funding is intended to subsidise packages of 12 to 15 hours of tutoring for each pupil.

Your school will receive its funding allocation in 3 instalments: October 2022, January 2023 and April 2023.

How the funding works

Your funding can be used to cover 60% of your total tutoring costs, subject to a maximum rate per pupil per hour. You’ll pay the remaining 40% from other parts of your budget, for example pupil premium.

You won’t get more funding than you’ve been allocated. If 60% of your costs works out as more than your allocation, you must pay the balance.

Any unspent funding will be deducted from next year’s allocation.

Maximum tutoring rate per pupil per hour

The Department for Education sets maximum rates per pupil per hour (also called pupil-hour). The maximum rate per pupil-hour which you can use your funding for at the full 60% is either:

  • £18 in a mainstream school
  • £47 in a non-mainstream school

If you decide to spend more than the agreed maximum rate, you’ll need to pay the balance.

How to work out your average rate per pupil per hour

  1. Multiply the number of tutoring hours by the number of pupils to give total pupil-hours.
  2. Divide the total cost of tutoring by the number of pupil-hours.
Academic mentor tutoring rates

For academic mentors, the total cost includes their salary and all on-costs.

To get maximum value from employing an academic mentor on a fixed salary, ensure they provide enough pupil-hours to reach the threshold for 60% subsidy. Examples of thresholds in a mainstream school are:

  • 1600 pupil-hours if the total cost is £21,800
  • 1400 pupil-hours if the total cost is £25,200

In a non-mainstream school examples of thresholds are:

  • 470 pupil-hours if the total cost is £21,800
  • 540 pupil-hours if the total cost is £25,200

Funding calculation examples

Example 1

  • Your mainstream school has 250 pupil premium-eligible pupils, giving you an allocation of £40,500.
  • You provide 2,200 pupil-hours of tutoring using a tuition partner at a total cost of £39,600.
  • You also employ an academic mentor at a total cost of £25,500 (salary and on-costs). They provide 1,500 pupil-hours across the year.
  • Total cost: £65,100
  • Total pupil-hours: 3,700
  • Tutoring rate: £17.59 per pupil per hour

Funding result

Because your rate is below the £18 maximum, your funding covers 60% of the cost - £39,060. You’ll pay the remaining £26,040 from other funding.

Example 2

  • Your non-mainstream school has 38 pupil premium-eligible pupils, so your allocation is £16,074.
  • You provide 550 pupil-hours of tutoring using a tuition partner at a cost of £22,000.
  • Total cost: £22,000
  • Total pupil-hours: 550
  • Tutoring rate: £40 per pupil per hour

Funding result

Because your rate is below the £47 maximum, your funding covers 60% of the cost - £13,200. You’ll pay the remaining £8,800 from other funding.

Example 3

  • Your mainstream school has 67 pupil premium-eligible pupils which means your allocation is £10,854.
  • You provide 1,340 pupil-hours of tutoring using your own staff at a cost of £19,100.
  • You also use a tuition partner to provide 100 pupil-hours at a cost of £4,500
  • Total cost: £23,600
  • Total pupil-hours: 1,440
  • Tutoring rate: £16.38 per pupil per hour

Funding result

Your hourly rate is below the £18 maximum, but 60% of the cost - £14,160 - is greater than your allocation so you’ll need to pay the shortfall (£3,306) as well as the remaining £9,440 (40%) from other funding. You’ll pay £12,746 in total.

Reporting how you’ve spent your funding

You’ll need to report how you have spent your funding in summer 2023 in your year-end statement. You should keep a record of:

  • how many hours of tutoring pupils have had
  • the total cost of tutoring
  • how many pupils have received tutoring